Makes 16-18 muffins
Prep time: 20 minutes
Bake time: 10-20 minutes
- 1 Cup chopped apples (skin on)
- 1 Tbsp. buckwheat flour (or any other GF flour should be fine!)
- 1/4 Cup mashed banana (or unsweetened applesauce)
- ½ Cup liquid sweetener – I used ¼ C agave, and ¼ C maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup GF flour mix + 1 tsp xanthan gum*
- 1-1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 Cup oats
- 3/4 Cup Light or fat-free sour cream/ plain yogurt/ or soft tofu with 1 tbsp vinegar or lemon juice
* I sometimes whip up my own with the flours I have on hand. The last time I used: 1/4 C white rice flour, 1/4 arrowroot flour, 1/2 C sorghum flour, 1 large tsp xanthan gum, and they turned out great!
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Grease muffin tin(s) – I fill the cups ¾ full and it made 12 regular and 9 mini muffins.
1. In small bowl, toss apples with 1 Tbsp of buckwheat flour. Set aside.
2. In a larger bowl, combine applesauce or mashed banana and sweeteners. Add eggs and mix well. Add vanilla.
3. In a smaller bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt & cinnamon. Mix well and add to the liquids in the larger bowl. Add sour cream & oats, stirring after each addition. Fold in apples – be careful not to overmix!
4. Spoon into prepared muffin tin, filling 3/4 full. Fill any remaining cups 1/2 full of water. Bake in preheated oven for about 8 minutes for mini muffins and 15 minutes for regular muffins! Depending on your oven, you may want to go 2-3 minutes more.
For gluten free muffins, these are pretty darn good!
Since Pauline is pretty much doing a sugar and dairy free diet (except greek yogurt), I had to modify my previous recipe to sugar alternatives. I forgot until I had cooked my muffins for 20 minutes (as I had previously with my recipe including sugar) that maple syrup makes baked goods brown FAST.
Yes, my first batch of regular sized muffins were a bit burnt. However, with a little butter… the flavour is reminiscent of cinnamon raisin toast on the fire – a favourite of mine while camping!
I greatly reduced the time for the minis as indicated in the recipe and they worked out perfectly!